The Augusta Victoria Hospital (AVH) is a medical center of excellence, providing health care services and other health programs since 1950. It is operated by the Lutheran World Federation (LWF). The hospital was established in partnership with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees as a major medical facility to care for Palestinian refugees following the 1948 conflict.
Located at the top of the Mount of Olives, East Jerusalem, AVH is one of six specialized hospitals in the East Jerusalem Hospital Network, which has contributed to the development of the Palestinian health care system and the education of healthcare workers and specialists. Its specialized services include comprehensive cancer and diabetes care, kidney care and dialysis, skilled nursing and long-term care.
Licensed for 171 beds, AVH is the second largest hospital in East Jerusalem. The hospital has centers of excellence including Comprehensive Cancer Care (Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy, Palliative Care, and oncosurgery for adults and children), Kidney Care Dialysis, Skilled Nursing and Long-term Care. In order to complete the continuum of care, the hospital also reaches the local community through outreach programs, including the Mammography and Diabetes mobile clinics.
AVH embarked on the mission to serve the Palestinian community over the years with more than 500 professional medical staff, who work with passion and love to provide medical services with the highest international health standards.
Today AVH is increasingly a knowledge-based institution. The hospital staff members partake in the training of the future cadre of health professionals in local surroundings and within the region. Besides, the hospital is a partner in a large international network of health care Institutions that help develop the capacities of the local staff.